Lives of the fellows

Henry Lewis Heimann

b.17 October 1894 d.4 January 1958
BA Rhodes(1913) MB BS Lond(1920) MD Lond(1923) MRCS LRCP(1919) MRCP(1923) FRCP(1948)

Henry Heimann, one of the first specialist physicians in the Transvaal, was born in Johannesburg to Sigmund Heimann, a businessman, and his wife, née Maud Godfrey. From its King Edward VII School he went to Rhodes University on a scholarship, and with his B.A. won an exhibition scholarship to University College Hospital. There he gained six prizes and graduated with the gold medal.

After residencies at the National Heart and the Brompton Hospitals he returned home, and in 1924 was appointed honorary assistant physician at the Johannesburg Hospital with which he was associated for thirty-two years until in 1956 he entered the Provincial Service for one year as senior medical officer to Edenvale Hospital before going back to it as out-patient medical officer. For most of these years he was the physician-in-charge of its electro-cardiograph department, and from 1946 to 1950 a member of its Hospital Board.

Heimann was a kindly physician and a popular teacher with a large consulting practice.

He was lecturer in medicine at the University of Witwatersrand from 1923 to 1953 with a break of two years from 1941, when he served as lieutenant-colonel, South African Medical Corps, in charge of the medical division of Oribi Hospital in Maritzburg. Alone or in collaboration with others he contributed some thirty articles on heart and lung conditions to South African medical journals. In 1928 he married Mary, daughter of Albert Henry Page, who was in business in London. They had three sons.

Richard R Trail

[S. Afr. med. J., 1958, 32, 226 (p).]

(Volume V, page 186)

<< Back to List