b.7 June 1911 d.26 November 1976
MRCS LRCP(1935) MB BS Lond(1935) MD(1937) MRCP(1937) FRCP(1946)
Graham Hayward was born in Cardiff, the son of William George Hayward, who worked in the educational department of the Ministry of Health, and of his wife Mary Louise, née Holland. His grandfather, ‘Hayward the Silent’, had been superintendent of police: so noted for his huge size that he had been locally unique in being able to patrol the dockland single-handed. These attributes appear to have been hereditary, as also had been the extra brain-power which gave him and his sister such excellent academic careers. The two attended Cardiff High School, where she ran away with all the prizes: he subsequently went to St Bartholomew’s Hospital, and at his final MB examination achieved distinctions in all five subjects then available (medicine, surgery, pathology, midwifery and gynaecology, and forensic medicine and hygiene), a feat never previously achieved. Whilst a student he played for the Bart’s first XV, and also boxed heavyweight for London University.
After qualification in 1935 and house appointments to the medical professorial unit (LJ Witts q.v.), he held the post of resident medical officer at the National Hospital for Diseases of the Heart, and cardiology became his special interest thereafter. A Rockefeller travelling fellowship took him to America in 1937 for a year - where he met his wife.
In 1939 he was awarded the Mackenzie McKinnon research fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians to work on pulmonary congestion and oedema, but the war came and he was enrolled in the Emergency Medical Service to work on transfusion. In 1941 he enlisted with the New Zealand Expeditionary Force, travelled to Italy and the Middle East, and became an expert on amoebiasis, leaving with the rank of brigadier.
After the war he joined the staff of Bart’s and worked with Geoffrey Bourne to establish the new department of cardiology, and to set cardiothoracic surgery going. He remained in charge of the excellent and progressive department until his retirement in 1976, but also remained fully active as a general physician, running a general medical firm and participating in all hospital affairs. At the same time he was a very active staff member of the National Heart Hospital, was its dean from 1948 until 1961, and was therefore largely responsible for its rise to preeminence in the post-war cardiological world.
One of his own special interests within cardiology was subacute bacterial endocarditis, and his early work with Cates, Christie and LP Garrod (q.v.), laid bare the critical importance of achieving adequate bactericidal antibiotic levels; in 1974 he summarised much of the work and elaborated on the subsequent developments in his notable Croonian lectures.
As a man Graham was a big, stalwart, reliable figure, modest and peace-loving but of unassailable integrity. As a teacher he was supreme: he never missed a round, and his students rarely missed them either. Always enthusiastic, he had a breadth of outlook that prevented him from any errors of over-emphasis; he had a fine gift of lucidity, and the greatness never to indulge in sarcasm. He ran a very happy teaching unit and was much respected as an uncannily faultless physician.
His work in the hospitals and private practice was heavy, but he was also an excellent and vigorous gardener. He was surrounded by great affection in his personal and family life, though tragedy struck early, and his eldest son died while still quite young. He was survived by his widow, by a married daughter, and by two sons.
He retired from the NHS on his 65th birthday, but continued in busy private practice until his death, from coronary heart disease, only six months later.
[Brit.med.J., 1976, 2, 1458; 1977, 1, 175; Lancet, 1976, 2, 1314; Times, 1 Dec 1976]
(Volume VII, page 255)
<< Back to List