Lives of the fellows

John Macnamara (Sir) Hayes

b.1758 d.1809
MD Rheims(1784) LRCP(1786)

Sir John Macnamara Hayes, Bart, M.D.—A native of Limerick, and a doctor of medicine of Rheims of 20th March, 1784; was admitted a Licentiate of the College of Physicians 26th June, 1786. He had served with distinction as a surgeon in the army, but at the time of his admission by the College was one of the physicians to the forces. He was appointed physician extraordinary to the prince of Wales in 1791; and was elected physician to the Westminster hospital in 1792, but resigned his office there in 1794. He was created a baronet in 1797; and at the time of his death, which occurred 19th July, 1820, from acute laryngitis, was inspector-general of the military department at Woolwich. Sir John Macnamara Hayes was buried at St. James’s, Piccadilly. A small mural monument, on the north side of the church under the gallery, bears the following inscription:—
Sacred to the Memory of
Sir John Macnamara Hayes, Baronet,
Inspector-General of the Medical Department in the Ordnance.
Sir John was raised to the Baronetage
in 1797, as a reward for his services, and
died in 1809, aged fifty-nine, beloved and respected
by all who knew him.

His portrait, by Medley, was engraved by N. Bran-white.

William Munk

(Volume II, page 364)

<< Back to List