b.1704 d.22 December 1777
AB Oxon(1727) AM(1731) MB(1733) MD(1737) FRCP(1739)
James Hawley, M.D., was descended from a family which had been long settled in Somersetshire. He was entered first at St. Mary’s hall, Oxford, as a member of which he took the degree of A.B. 23rd January, 1727; but then removing to Oriel, proceeded A.M. 30th June, 1731; M.B. 26th June, 1733; M.D. 13th December, 1737. He was admitted a Candidate of the College of Physicians 22nd December, 1738; a Fellow, 22nd December, 1739; was Gulstonian lecturer in 1741; Harveian orator in 1747; Censor, 1744, 1747, 1751, 1754; Elect, 3rd December, 1751; and Consiliarius, 1756, 1759, 1764. Dr. Hawley was elected physician to the Westminster hospital in 1739, and resigned his appointment there in 1750. He died 22nd December, 1777, and was buried in a vault he had built for himself and family in the church of Leyborne, co. Kent. His monument bears the following inscription:—
In a vault underneath,
are deposited the remains of
James Hawley, Doctor of Physick,
who died at the Grange in this parish,
on the 22nd day of December, 1777,
In the seventy-third year of his age.
And also Elizabeth,
the wife of the said James,
who was one of the daughters of Joseph Banks, Esq.,
of Revesby Abbey, in the county of Lincoln.
She died the 27th November, 1766
in the forty-seventh year of her age,
and was buried at Isleworth, in the county of Middlesex,
but was afterwards removed to this vault.
(Volume II, page 144)
<< Back to List