b.1 December 1829 d.3 September 1885
BA Cantab(1852) MB(1854) MD FRCP(1863)
Francis Harris was born at Southwark, the son of John Rawlinson Harris, hat manufacturer and in 1830 M.P. for Southwark. He went to Dulwich, Blackheath and King’s College School for his education before going up to Caius College, Cambridge, in his eighteenth year. There he took the degrees of B.A. in 1852 and M.B. in 1854. He studied medicine at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital and Paris and worked in Virchow’s laboratory at Berlin. He demonstrated morbid anatomy at his old Hospital from 1859 to 1861 and lectured on botany from 1860 to 1866. His appointment as assistant physician in 1861 enabled him to abandon his first intention of following an obstetric career — with rejoicing, for he had found that most London obstetricians "might be placed in one of two classes — those who quoted texts to their patients and those who told them indecent stories". Harris was also on the staff of the Hospital for Sick Children from 1859 to 1865. He was elected physician to St. Bartholomew’s in 1868 but was able to retire in comfort to his estate at Lamberhurst six years later. In retirement he cultivated orchids and owned beagles — which he successfully treated for rickets with cod liver oil. Harris, who was married, died in London.
G H Brown
[B.M.J., 1885; Moore, ii, 572; Biog.Hist.of Caius College, ii, 282]
(Volume IV, page 135)
<< Back to List