Lives of the fellows

Charles John Hare

b.1818 d.15 December 1898
MB Cantab(1841) MD FRCP(1859)

Charles Hare was born at Leeds, the son of Samuel Hare, F.R.C.S. He was educated at Caius College, Cambridge, University College, London, and at Paris, and graduated M.B. in 1841. In 1850 he was appointed, together with William Jenner, assistant physician to University College Hospital. Eight years later, he became full physician and in 1863 professor of clinical medicine to the Hospital. It was owing to the munificence of a friend and patient of Hare — Mr. Edward Yates — that University College Hospital benefited, under the latter’s will, to the extent of £46,000, the income from half of this sum being applied to the general purposes of the Hospital and, from the other half, to the Samaritan Fund. Hare, who was himself a man of ample means, was also associated with the St. Marylebone General Dispensary, the St. Pancras and Northern Dispensary and the Paddington Provident Dispensary. He was at one time examiner in medicine for Cambridge University and assessor to the Regius professor of physic. He was also president of the Harveian Society and the Medical Society of London. Hare was a man of robust health, fond of travelling, an able financier, and a meticulous correspondent. He had the engaging habit of drawing a small clock-face at the top of his letters, the hands of which indicated the exact time at which they had been written. He married in 1863 Catherine, daughter of Edward Westhead of Croston Tower, Cheshire, and had two sons and three daughters. He died in London.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1898; B.M.J., 1898; Biog.Hist.of Caius College, ii, 236]

(Volume IV, page 108)

<< Back to List