Lives of the fellows

Henry Handford

b.1855 d.24 June 1928
MB CM Edin(1878) MD MRCS DPH Cantab FRCP(1899)

Henry Handford, son of Dr. Thomas Handford, who practised at Atherstone, Warwickshire, received his medical education at Edinburgh University, where he graduated as M.B, C.M, with high distinction, in 1878, and at Paris and Vienna. After working for a time as medical tutor at Queen’s College, Birmingham, he settled at Nottingham and became physician to the General Hospital, a post that he held till 1906, displaying a special aptitude for pathology and cardiology. For the next twenty years, till his retirement in 1926, he was medical officer of health for the county. During the Great War he was a major in the sanitary service of the R.A.M.C. His wife was a daughter of the first Lord Belper; they had two sons.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1928; B.M.J., 1928]

(Volume IV, page 411)

<< Back to List