b.10 June 1894 d.26 September 1972
MC MRCS LRCP(1924) MB BChir Cantab(1927) MRCP(1927) MA MD(1929) FRCP(1933)
Arthur Cecil Hampson was bom at Parbold near Wigan in Lancashire. He matriculated at the Northern Universities in 1913 and joined the Army in the early days of the first world war. He served in the Royal Field Artillery and eventually commanded a battery of heavy howitzers in Flanders and was awarded the Military Cross. When the war was over, he went up to Cambridge to read medicine and was an undergraduate at Fitzwilliam House. He entered Guy’s Hospital for his clinical studies in 1921. He qualified with the Conjoint in 1924 and MB, Bchir (Cambridge) in 1927, the same year in which he became a member of the Royal College of Physicians. Two years later he obtained his doctorate at Cambridge.
Among other junior hospital appointments, he was house physician to John Fawcett. He then became a demonstrator of physiology and Poulton Research Fellow and he was appointed medical registrar in 1928. In 1930, he was elected Assistant Physician to Guy’s Hospital, and also to the children’s department. During the first five years he worked solely as a paediatrician at Guy’s, but, when a vacancy occurred, he moved over to the general medical list and in 1947 became a full physician. Apart from his appointment at Guy’s Hospital, he was consulting physician to Queen Mary’s Hospital, Stratford, and to the Seamen’s Dreadnought Hospital, Greenwich. At the outbreak of the second world war he was appointed Deputy Group Medical Officer to Sector 10 and was concerned in the distribution of both civilian and military casualties in that area.
Hampson was a shy man; indeed he was rather solitary. He was brisk in manner, always wore rather old-fashioned clothes, and his black coat, striped trousers and wing collar, crowned with a black Homburg hat, were a usual feature of his appearance. His precise manner was tempered with a genuine humility and great kindness - something which was evident in his dealings both with his young and his mature patients and, not less, with anxious parents. He was a good and discriminating physician.
Outside his professional life, Hampson was interested in painting, particularly in pictures of the 18th and early 19th century, and he accumulated no small collection of them in his large rambling house at Sanderstead, where he also enjoyed the pleasures of gardening. He played little part in professional affairs; he was content to work as an able doctor in his chosen spheres, and brought much relief to many patients. He retired in 1959 when it was said of him that "by his sympathetic clinical approach, his constructive teaching, his unfailing modestry and his gentle humour, (he) has earned profound respect as well as deep affection among the countless men and women who have come under his influence."
He settled in the Cotswolds, where he died after a prolonged illness.
[Guy's Hosp. Gaz., 1972, 86, pp 570-1]
(Volume VI, page 216)
<< Back to List