b.21 December 1854 d.26 February 1946
CBE MD Cantab FRCS(1881) FRCP(1893)
Walter Griffith was born at Brighton and educated at Brighton College, of which his father, Rev. John Griffith, LL.D, was headmaster. He began his medical training at the Royal Sussex County Hospital before entering St. Bartholomew’s as a student. He qualified in 1878 and became F.R.C.S. three years later. He then obtained posts as physician-accoucheur to the Great Northern Hospital, physician to outpatients at the Samaritan Hospital for Women, physician to Queen Charlotte’s Lying-In Hospital, and teacher of midwifery at his own Hospital. Between 1882 and 1885, he was also an undergraduate of Cambridge, keeping the necessary residence by spending his weekends at Downing College. In 1890 he was made physician-accoucheur, with charge of outpatients, and in 1912 full physician-accoucheur, at St. Bartholomew’s, receiving consulting rank when he retired in 1919. He was also consulting gynaecologist to the Queen Alexandra Military Hospital, Millbank, and from 1891 to 1894 he lectured on midwifery at Cambridge. Subsequently he represented the Royal College of Surgeons on the Central Midwives Board. Griffith was a popular, if stern, teacher, practical and impressive. He was devoted to music and played the ’cello. In retirement he lived first at Chelsea and then at Haslemere. He married, firstly, in 1885 May Anne, daughter of T. Kinder of St. Albans, by whom he had a son, and, secondly, in 1918 Ella, daughter of W. Jackson Kennedy, M.D, of Kirkcaldy, Fife. His younger brother, F. L. Griffith, was professor emeritus of Egyptology at Oxford. Griffith was ninety-one when he died.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1946; B.M.J., 1946; Times, 28 Feb. 1946; Al.Cantab., iii, 153]
(Volume IV, page 364)
<< Back to List