b.13 January 1861 d.21 October 1946
CMG MB Aberd(1882) MD Hon LLD Hon DSc Leeds FRCP(1908)
Thomas Wardrop Griffith was born at Aberdeen, the eighth son of Charles Fox Griffith, J.P, and was sent to Aberdeen Grammar School and University for his education. Having graduated as M.B, with highest honours, in 1882, he acted as demonstrator of anatomy at Aberdeen for a year before going south to take up a resident post at Leeds General Infirmary, where he was promoted to be assistant physician and, in 1905, full physician. He was chiefly remembered, however, for his services to the Medical School. Elected to the professorship of anatomy at the age of twenty-six, he became, in 1910, professor of medicine and, on his retirement, emeritus professor. He procured new buildings for the School, founded a dermatological clinic, and organised the scientific study of heart disease in Leeds. From 1918 to 1927 he represented Leeds University on the General Medical Council. He was also the Ministry of Pensions’ honorary cardiac consultant in Yorkshire and consulting physician to the Leeds Public Dispensary and St. James’s Hospital. During the 1914-1918 War, as a lieutenant-colonel, he was on the staff of the 2nd Northern General Hospital and in charge of the Northern Command Cardiac Centre. He married Louise, daughter of Grosvenor Talbot, and had two sons. He died at Leeds.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1946; B.M.J., 1946]
(Volume IV, page 490)
<< Back to List