b.16 August 1790 d.25 January 1853
MD Edin(1811) LRCP(1816) FRCP(1839)
George Gregory, M.D., was the second son of the Rev. William Gregory, of Canterbury, rector of St. Andrew’s and St. Mary Bredman, in that city, and one of the six preachers of the cathedral, through whom he inherited a name which was long associated with science and literature. James Gregory, the contemporary of Newton and the inventor of the Gregorian telescope, was his ancestor, and he was the grandson of John Gregory, M. D., professor of medicine in the university of Edinburgh, the friend and colleague of Cullen, and deservedly celebrated as the author of the Lectures on the Duties and Qualifications of a Physician, The Comparative View of Man and A Father’s Legacy to his Daughters.
Dr. George Gregory was born in the Precincts, Canterbury, 16th August, 1790, and received his preparatory education at the King’s school, in that city. On the death of his father in 1803, he proceeded to Edinburgh, where he was welcomed as an inmate to the house of his uncle, Dr. James Gregory, the distinguished author of the Conspectus Medicinæ Theoreticæ, by whom his general and professional studies were directed. He attended the general classes in the university, and in 1806 commenced the study of medicine, which he pursued for three years in Edinburgh. In 1809 he removed to London and continued them at St. George’s hospital and the Windmill-street school, under the immediate superintendence of Dr. Matthew Baillie, who in early life had contracted an intimate friendship with Dr. Gregory’s father at Baliol college, Oxford.
Returning to Edinburgh, he graduated doctor of medicine there 12th September, 1811 (D.M.I. de Phthisi Pul-monali), and on the 2nd July, 1812, as a preliminary step to entering the army, was admitted a member of the College of Surgeons of London. Shortly after this he was gazetted hospital assistant to the forces, and in 1813 was sent to the Mediterranean. He served for three years with different corps in Sicily and Italy, and was present and actively employed under Lord William Bentinck during the short but successful campaign in the north of Italy which terminated in the capture of Genoa.
Returning to England, he was placed on halfpay, and having on the 30th September, 1816, been admitted a Licentiate of the College of Physicians, he commenced business in London. He soon began to lecture on the theory and practice of physic, and for several years commanded a large and remunerative class. In 1824 he was elected physician to the Small-pox and Vaccination hospital, an office in which he took the most lively interest, and which he continued to hold to the time of his decease. His connection with this institution furnished him with the materials for his numerous writings on small-pox and vaccination. Dr. Gregory was admitted a Fellow of the College of Physicians 30th September, 1839.
He died at his house in Camden-square of disease of the heart 25th January, 1853, and was buried at Kensal-green. Dr. Gregory wrote largely in the medical journals, and was one of the contributors to the Cyclopaedia of Practical Medicine and to the Library of Medicine.
His separate publications were—
A Lecture on Dropsy. 8vo. Lond.
The Elements of the Theory and Practice of Physic 2 vols. 8vo. 1820. 6th edit. 1846.
Lectures on the Eruptive Fevers, delivered at St. Thomas’s hospital in January, 1843. 8vo. Lond. 1843.
(Volume III, page 152)
<< Back to List