Lives of the fellows

Thomas Henry Green

b.21 October 1842 d.5 November 1923
MD Lond MRCS FRCP(1874)

Henry Green received his medical training at University College, London, where he qualified in 1864, and in Berlin under Virchow. He then obtained junior appointments at University College Hospital and the Hospital for Sick Children. He joined the staff of the North-West London Free Dispensary for Sick Children, before being elected in 1868 assistant physician and lecturer on pathology at Charing Cross Hospital. He became full physician in 1874 and continued to lecture till 1887. He was also a member of the staff of the Brompton Hospital after 1875, being assistant physician till 1888 and thereafter physician, and Senior Censor of the Royal College of Physicians. Green’s name became widely known on account of his Introduction to Pathology and Morbid Anatomy (1871) which, expanded by successive editors, achieved a thirteenth edition in the year of his death. He was a convincing teacher of pathology, and his bedside instruction was dogmatic and precise. He was precise and reserved in manner, methodical in his habits, brief in conversation, and faultless in his dress.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1923; B.M.J., 1923]

(Volume IV, page 225)

<< Back to List