b.10 July 1918 d.25 December 1990
MRCS LRCP(1941) MB BS Lond(1947) MD(1949) MRCP(1949) FRCP(1973)
Kenneth Green was born in Pretoria, South Africa, where his father Henry Hamilton Green was engaged in biochemical research. His mother Katherine Laura, née McGown, was the daughter of John McGown, a printer.
He studied medicine in the UK at University College Hospital, London University, and after qualification served as house surgeon at the Colindale Hospital from 1941-42; the hospital being an extension of UCH during the war. From 1942-47 he served in the RAMC as a regimental medical officer and on demobilization returned to hospital service with various postgraduate and medical registrarships until 1950 when he was appointed senior registrar East Sussex Hospitals. His interest in pharmacology led him to take up a post as medical adviser to Imperial Chemical Industries in April 1951, where he remained for 25 years becoming one of the best known and most respected medical executives in the pharmaceutical industry.
When Kenneth joined ICI the medical profession did not readily accept the credibility of doctors who worked in the industry. Together with a handful of doctors from other companies, he resolved to change this attitude and in 1959 they formed the Association of Medical Advisers in the Pharmaceutical Industry. Kenneth became its chairman in 1961. Today the organization is known as the British Association for Pharmaceutical Physicians and it is part of a large international federation representing doctors engaged in medical and clinical research all over the world.
During his time in the original medical department of ICI, Kenneth became heavily involved in the clinical evaluation of key products like ‘Hibitane’, ‘Fluothane’, ‘Atromid -S’ and, most notably, ‘Inderal’. He also worked closely with beta-blocker pioneer Sir James Black FRS and he was among those invited to join the celebrations in honour of Sir James when he was awarded the Nobel Prize for medicine in 1988.
As manager of ICI clinical research department for 12 years, Kenneth contributed much to clinical trial methodology and was largely responsible for developing the concept of multicentre and mutlinational clinical trials. He set standards that other companies had to match if their results were to be widely accepted. His pioneering work was recognized by the medical profession in 1973 when he was elected a Fellow of the College, a rare honour for a doctor in industry at that time.
After his retirement, he continued to work as a consultant for ICI and participated in an outpatient clinic in general medicine at Stepping Hill Hospital, Stockport. He was a former trustee of the Trust for Education and Research and had served on the MRC’s hypertension working party. For several years he was a member of the ABPI code of conduct committee.
Kenneth married Isobel Jean, daughter of Isaac Burtonwood, in 1942 and they had two children - a son and a daughter. Outside his work, his interests lay in music and golf. He was a keen golfer and a member of the Wilmslow club. He died on Christmas day during a visit to Malta.
J S Patterson
(Volume IX, page 209)
<< Back to List