Lives of the fellows

Alexander Edward Gow

b.9 March 1884 d.19 September 1952
MD Lond MRCS FRCP(1919)

Alexander Gow went to King Edward VI School, Stratford-on-Avon, when a boy and was a medical student at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital. He held a number of junior appointments there and at the Great Northern Central Hospital (the Royal Northern Hospital) after qualifying in 1908, and was an assistant physician at the Queen’s Hospital, Hackney Road, when war broke out in 1914. He then joined the Navy as a surgeon-lieutenant and served through the Gallipoli campaign with the Naval Brigade and afterwards at Haslar. After the War he resumed his registrarship at St. Bartholomew’s and in 1919 was appointed first assistant in its medical clinic. He was elected to the staff as assistant physician in 1921 and promoted to full physician in 1930; after retiring, he became, in 1946, emeritus physician and, in 1951, consulting physician. Gow also held the appointment of Physician-in-Ordinary to the Duke of Kent from 1935 until the Duke’s death in 1942 and then that of Honorary Physician to the Household of the Duchess of Kent. He wrote, in conjunction with Lord Horder, with whom he was much associated, a book of high repute, The Essentials of Medical Diagnosis (1928). Gow was an authority on lymphadenoma but was distinguished chiefly as a clinician and as a teacher. He married in 1929 Helen Gordon Rannie and had two sons and a daughter.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1952; B.M.J., 1952]

(Volume IV, page 564)

<< Back to List