Lives of the fellows

Theodore Gordon

b.1786 d.30 March 1845
MA Edin(1802) MD Aberd(1814) LRCP(1815) FRCP(1838)

Theodore Gordon, M.D., was born in Aberdeenshire, and after an ordinary school education, was sent to King’s college, Aberdeen, where he completed his general and commenced his medical studies. Removing to Edinburgh, he there graduated master of arts 29th March, 1802. In the following year he entered the army, and as assistant surgeon to the 91st Foot, went first to Hanover, and then to Portugal; was present at the battles of Rolica and Vimiera, and narrowly escaped with his life when cast away in the river Douro. He was appointed surgeon to the 89th Foot in 1809,and was present at the unfortunate affair at Fuengerola, under Lord Blaney. With the 4th Foot or King’s Own, into which he exchanged in 1811, he served in Ceuta, and was one of the commission for the cession of that fortress to Spain. Returning with his regiment to the Peninsula, he had the honour of accompanying the duke of Wellington through a large portion of his career of victory; having been present at the battle of Salamanca, in the retreat from Burgos, at the battle of Vittoria, the siege of St. Sebastian, and the passage of the Bidassoa, in which last affair, while in medical charge of the 5th division, he was seriously wounded in the head and neck.

In 1813 he was appointed surgeon to the forces, and had the charge of York hospital. He graduated doctor of medicine at Aberdeen, 23rd November, 1814, and was admitted a Licentiate of the College of Physicians 20th March, 1815. In that year he was appointed physician to the forces, and was again engaged in foreign service. He had the superintendence of the French wounded, at Brussels, after the battle of Waterloo, and he accompanied the advance on Paris, and had charge of the military hospital of St. Louis, in that city. In the beginning of 1816 Dr. Gordon was appointed professional assistant in the Army Medical Board office, the arduous and important duties of which he continued to perform until within a few weeks of his death.

Dr. Gordon’s long and able services were finally crowned in 1818, by the deputy inspector-generalship of hospitals, which was the highest rank to which he attained. He was admitted a Fellow of the College of Physicians, 4th July, 1838, and died at Brighton on the 30th March, 1845, in the fifty-ninth year of his age.(1)

William Munk

[(1) Medical Gazette.]

(Volume III, page 130)

<< Back to List