b.15 December 1906 d.7 September 1994
MB BS Lond(1929) MRCS LRCP(1929) MRCP(1931) MD(1932) FRCP(1969)
Isaac Gordon was a general physician who spent the whole of his professional life working in the East London and Essex area. ‘Ian’, as he was always known, was educated at the Davenant Foundation School and, like many from that school, went on to study medicine. He graduated from St Bartholomew’s Hospital in 1929. After house appointments at St Bartholomew’s and a medical registrarship at the West London Hospital, he became a physician in the emergency medical services, at the London Jewish Hospital and the Chelmsford and Essex Hospital.
After the war he was appointed as a consultant physician to the London Jewish Hospital, St Mary's Hospital, Plaistow and to numerous Essex hospitals in Epping, Chelmsford and Billericay. As was the fashion in the early days of the National Health Service, consultants often had sessions over a large area which involved a lot of travelling. Despite this he did his clinical and committee work meticulously.
He was essentially a general physician but he had obtained, in its early days, a Schindler gastroscope which he learned to use expertly and which travelled with him to his numerous appointments. Ian was well read and up to date in medicine and, though not a research worker, was a very sound and knowledgable physician.
After a fairly severe heart attack in the fifties he reduced his extensive commitments, but remained a consultant physician at St Margaret’s and the London Jewish Hospitals until his retirement at 65. He was an intensely religious man, was president of the London Jewish Medical Society and for many years a member of the Board of Deputies of British Jews. He married his wife Sadie in 1936 and they had two children, a son and a daughter. His beloved wife predeceased him by two years which saddened his last years. However, despite numerous disabling conditions, he remained alert and interested in all advances in medicine.
(Volume X, page 171)
<< Back to List