Lives of the fellows

James Frederic (Sir) Goodhart

b.24 October 1845 d.28 May 1916
BART MB CM Aberd(1871) MD Hon LLD MRCS FRCP(1880)

James Goodhart was born in London, the son of Alfred Harrington Goodhart, general practitioner, and his wife Elizabeth Wilkinson, daughter of Alexander Goudge. From Epsom College he went on to Guy’s Hospital, where he won the Treasurer’s gold medal for medicine and qualified in 1868. Having served in house appointments at Guy’s and the Evelina Hospital for Children, he proceeded to Aberdeen University to take the degrees of M.B,C.M, with highest honours, in 1871. He returned to Guy’s as surgical registrar and demonstrator of morbid anatomy in the following year, and at the same time became an assistant in the pathological department of the Royal College of Surgeons, for which he prepared a supplement to the catalogue of the museum. He was elected assistant physician at Guy’s in 1877, curator of the museum in 1882, lecturer on pathology in 1884 and physician in 1887, retiring to the consulting staff, at a relatively early age, in 1898. Meanwhile he had become in 1875 assistant physician, in 1881 physician, and in 1888 consulting physician, to the Evelina Hospital. His experience there enabled him to compile a highly popular Student's Guide to the Diseases of Children (1885), a tenth edition of which, edited by G. F. Still, appeared in 1913. He also wrote articles for Allbutt’s System of Medicine, and at the Royal College of Physicians, of which he was a Censor, delivered the Bradshaw Lecture in 1885 and the Harveian Oration in 1912. He was created a baronet in 1911. He was never a man of one particular speciality, and it was by virtue of his catholic knowledge, as well as his acute diagnostic powers and his personal charm, that he built up a large practice that left him little time for social relaxations.

He married in 1879 Emma, daughter of William Bennett of Ashgrove, and had two sons, the younger of whom was G. W. Goodhart, F.R.C.P.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1916; B.M.J., 1916; Guy's Hospital Reports, 1921, lxxi, 377]

(Volume IV, page 274)

<< Back to List