b.21 October 1809 d.18 July 1895
MD Lond MRCS LSA FRCP(1855)
Stephen Goodfellow was the son of an English merchant living in Portugal and, although he was born at Falmouth, his earliest years were spent in Lisbon. On the return of his parents to England, he was educated at grammar schools in Cornwall, and, after an apprenticeship with a general practitioner at St. Austell, became a student of St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, where he qualified in 1832. He was reluctant to enter general practice and procured the appointment of superintendent of the London Fever Hospital. In 1841 he began to lecture on anatomy and physiology at the Aldersgate Street Medical School and became joint editor of the London Physiological Journal. He moved to Carlisle on election to the staff of the Cumberland Infirmary in 1844, but returned to London after two years and in 1847 became physician to the Aldersgate Street Dispensary and lecturer on medical jurisprudence at the Middlesex Hospital. Appointment as assistant physician to the Hospital followed in 1849 and as full physician in 1858; he also became joint lecturer, and eventually sole lecturer, on medicine. Goodfellow was widely known, both in England and America, as an expert in the diagnosis and treatment of nervous and hysterical disorders. He was forced to retire from practice at the age of sixty, owing to a slight attack of hemiplegia, but spent the remainder of his long life in relatively good health. He married in 1846 Elizabeth, daughter of William Nanson Eyre of Carlisle, and passed his last few years at Dartmouth and Paignton.
G H Brown
(Volume IV, page 79)
<< Back to List