b.25 May 1903 d.29 Oct 1997
BA Cantab MRCS LRCP(1926) MRCP(1928) MB(1929) MD(1936) FRCP(1963)
Frank Goldby was professor of anatomy at St Mary’s Hospital, London. He was born in Enfield, Middlesex, and went to the Mercers’ School in the City of London from where he won a Tancred scholarship to Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge. He gained first class honours in natural sciences and went on to clinical studies at King’s College Hospital Medical School, London. He qualified in 1926, then followed junior appointments in pathology, medicine, neurology and paediatrics. He gained his MRCP in 1928.
After a further short spell in clinical pathology he opted for an academic career in anatomy and became senior assistant demonstrator at University College, London, under Sir Grafton Elliot Smith [Munk’s Roll, Vol.IV, p.545]. Here he developed his interest in the comparative anatomy of the nervous system, seeking to illuminate the complex structure of the mammalian brain with studies of the less developed brain of reptiles.
Following lectureships in Hong Kong and Cambridge, where he was a fellow of Queen’s College, he was appointed elder professor of anatomy at the University of Adelaide, South Australia, a post he held from 1937 to 1945.
In 1945 he returned to England to the chair of anatomy at St Mary’s Hospital Medical School, London, a position he held until his retirement in 1970. He was a staunch supporter of the Anatomical Society as secretary, president and editor of the Journal of Anatomy.
On retirement he moved back to his beloved Cambridge to concentrate on book-binding and wood-work. He married Helen Rosa Tomlin in 1932, a marriage that remained rock solid until his death aged 94. They had six children.
F S Goldby
(Volume X, page 169)
<< Back to List