b.27 January 1922 d.28 June 1980
MB BCh Wits(1944) MRCP(1948) DMRD Eng(1960) FFR(1962) FRCP(1976)
Boris Golberg, a learned and distinguished radiologist, died at his home in Bushey, Herts, at the age of 58. Born in Cyprus, his father, Aron Golberg, was a watchmaker of Russian origin. His mother, too, came from Russia. The family moved to South Africa in 1924, and there he remained until coming to England in 1947. He was educated at Jeppe High School, and graduated at the University of Witwatersrand in 1944, with subsequent house officer posts at the Johannesburg General Hospital until 1946, when he joined the S A Medical Corps for 18 months.
After coming to England he embarked upon a career in respiratory medicine with posts at the Hammersmith and Central Middlesex Hospitals, and a senior registrarship at St Charles’ Hospital and the Paddington and Kensington Chest Clinic. Between 1952 and 1954 he worked in the field of pulmonary tuberculosis for the World Health Organization in Bandung, Indonesia, with subsequent posts in Bristol and Ashford, Middlesex.
He inevitably developed great interest and expertise in radiology, and in 1958 he took the first of a series of promotions in this specialty at the Middlesex Hospital, leading to his appointment as consultant radiologist at Edgware General and associated hospitals in 1964, a post that he held until his death. He played a large part in creating a first class unit, with his own particular interest in the field of arteriography.
He was a widely read and learned man, and published many excellent papers. His sense of humour is demonstrated by two of his most recent publications, The department of inappropriate investigations’ and ‘Lateral chest radiology or a chicken in every pot’ (Brit. med. J., 1977, 2, 124; 1980, 1, 909).
He married Joan, the daughter of David Scott, an electrical engineer, in 1947. His wife, two sons and a daughter survived him. His brother, Leon Golberg, became professor of toxicology at South Carolina in the USA and was Milroy Lecturer at the College in 1967.
[Brit.med.J., 1980, 281, 233, 138]
(Volume VII, page 211)
<< Back to List