Lives of the fellows

Thomas Robinson Glynn

b.1841 d.12 May 1931
MD Lond MRCS FRCP(1882)

Thomas Glynn was the son of Edward Dashpen Glynn, a Liverpool shipowner. He was educated at Liverpool College and studied medicine at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital and in Paris, qualifying in 1864. Returning to Liverpool he obtained appointments as assistant physician to the Children’s Hospital, physician to the Northern Hospital and demonstrator of anatomy at the School of Medicine. In 1871 he joined the staff of the Royal Infirmary as physician, an appointment he held until elected consulting physician in 1901. As a lecturer on medicine at the School closely associated with the Infirmary, he was one of a group of eminent teachers to earn a high reputation for the School and to promote its incorporation in University College, founded in 1881. He himself was the College’s, and later Liverpool University’s, first professor of medicine, holding office from 1884 to 1922. His most noteworthy published works were his Lumleian Lectures of 1903 on Infective Endocarditis and his Bradshaw Lecture of 1913 on Hysteria. As a teacher who attracted a large following, he displayed a wide knowledge of general medicine and stressed the correlation of clinical signs and pathological features. He was a fine landscape painter, organist and singer, and in his youth, a swimming enthusiast. Glynn was twice married, in 1871 and 1885, and had three sons and four daughters. His second wife was Alice Lewtas. One of his sons was Ernest Edward Glynn, F.R.C.P. He died at Tremerchion, North Wales.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1931; B.M.J., 1931]

(Volume IV, page 288)

<< Back to List