b.1873 d.22 September 1929
BA Cantab(1895) MA MD MRCS FRCP(1913)
Ernest Glynn was born at Liverpool, son of T. R. Glynn, F.R.C.P, later emeritus professor of medicine of the University, whom he was to predecease by some twenty months. He went to Liverpool College for his schooling and matriculated at Clare College, Cambridge, in 1892. He read theology for a year before turning to natural sciences, in which he graduated in 1895. Completing his clinical training at Liverpool, he won the Derby exhibition in surgery and qualified in 1898. Having held a house appointment at the Royal Infirmary and the Holt fellowship at Liverpool University, he joined the staff of the Hospital for Consumption as assistant physician in 1902, and two years later obtained a similar post at the Royal Infirmary. At the same time he was called upon to deputise for the professor of pathology, during the latter’s absences. In 1906 he resigned his position at the Infirmary to become official deputy professor. In 1910 he was raised to the status of associate professor and in 1912 succeeded to the chair of pathology itself.
Glynn was appointed in due course honorary pathologist to the Royal Infirmary and consulting pathologist to the Northern Hospital, the Children’s Infirmary and the Hospital for Women. In the 1914-1918 War he did valuable work as pathologist at the 1st Western General Hospital. His civilian researches embraced, among a variety of subjects, changes in the blood platelets after operations, the association between adrenal tumours and sex changes in women, and mercurial treatment in syphilis; and he also worked on the bacteriology of dysentery, on pneumonia, pyorrhoea, problems of immunity, and methods of counting bacteria. He was a forceful and dogmatic teacher, whose early clinical experience markedly affected his outlook on pathological questions. Unmarried, he occupied the house which was Gladstone’s birthplace and interested himself in students’ clubs and societies. Ill health compelled his retirement, in 1927 and caused his death at Nerquis, near Mold, two years later.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1929; B.M.J., 1929; Presidential Address to R.C.P., 1930, 19; Al.Cantab., iii, 68]
(Volume IV, page 530)
<< Back to List