Lives of the fellows

Henry Gervis

b.1837 d.25 September 1924
MD Lond MRCS FRCP(1874) JP

Henry Gervis was born at Tiverton, the son of F. Shortland Gervis, a doctor. A frequent prizewinner as a boy at Taunton School, he gained the Treasurer’s medal and other distinctions when a student at St. Thomas’s Hospital. After qualifying in 1858, he was given resident appointments in the Hospital and in 1862 was elected to the staff as assistant obstetric physician. He lectured on forensic medicine and midwifery, and became obstetric physician in 1875. Gervis examined for Cambridge and London Universities and contributed articles to Quain’s Dictionary of Medicine and Allbutt’s System of Medicine. His lectures were of high practical value to students and he was an exemplary gynaecological operator. On retiring in 1899 he devoted himself to public work and archaeology, at first in Uxbridge and later at Bath, where he died. He married in 1860 Phoebe Louisa, daughter of S. K. Pollard of Taunton, by whom he had a son and a daughter.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1924; B.M.J., 1924; Parsons, iii, 202]

(Volume IV, page 224)

<< Back to List