b.11 September 1861 d.27 February 1948
MBE MD Lond MRCS FRCP(1917)
Born at Tranmere, Birkenhead, Henry Willoughby Gardner received his education at Charterhouse and St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, and qualified in 1885. He remained at St. Bartholomew’s to fill house appointments and was a house surgeon at Liverpool Infirmary for Children, before going out to New South Wales in the capacity of a Government medical officer. Returning to England, he entered general practice at Shrewsbury, and some years later successfully established himself as a consultant, holding honorary appointments at the Royal Shropshire Infirmary, the Shropshire Orthopaedic Hospital, the County Sanatorium, and other local institutions. To the first of these, he left his house at Church Stretton as a rest home for the nursing staff. Gardening, golf and fly-fishing were among his recreations. He died at Church Stretton, having survived his wife and only son.
G H Brown
(Volume IV, page 552)
<< Back to List