b.1820 d.18 December 1873
BA Cantab MB(1843) MD FRCP(1852)
Born in London, the son of Henry Peter Fuller, a surgeon, Henry Fuller was a schoolboy at Rugby under Dr. Arnold. In 1838 he went up to Caius College, Cambridge, and at the same time registered as a student at St. George’s Hospital, to which both his father and grandfather had been visiting apothecaries. Having taken his M.B. in 1843, he started to practise in London and, after five years, was elected to the staff of St. George’s as assistant physician. He succeeded Nairne as full physician in 1857. His other principal appointments were at the North London Hospital for Consumption and the School for Indigent Blind. He was a mainstay of the Harveian Society and a supporter of several other associations. He gave the Lumleian Lectures in 1866 and filled the office of Censor of the Royal College of Physicians. He was a believer in the efficacy of alkalis for the treatment of rheumatism, and his work On Rheumatism, Rheumatic Gout, and Sciatica (1852) reached a third edition. Sound and hard-working, but not brilliant, Fuller enjoyed a popular middle-class private practice. He was a confirmed advocate of the use of drugs, which he prescribed in large quantities and unusual combinations.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1873; B.M.J., 1873; Medical Times and Gazette, 1873; Biog.Hist.of Caius College, ii, 245]
(Volume IV, page 66)
<< Back to List