b.13 September 1915 d.4 April 1990
BSc Manch(1937) MRCS LRCP(1940) MB ChB(1940) MRCP(1947) FRCP(1975)
Edgar (Ted) Frazer was the son of Alexander Stenson Frazer, an underwriter. He was born at West Bromwich and educated at William Hume’s Grammar School, Manchester, and Manchester University.
After qualification in 1940 he held the posts of house physician and resident medical officer at Manchester Royal Infirmary. He then entered the medical service of the RAF and served as a flight lieutenant from 1941-46. After the war he was appointed assistant physician, later consultant physician, to the North West Durham group of hospitals, his principal hospital being Shotley Bridge General Hospital where he worked until his retirement.
In the earlier years of his consultant career he was responsible for a large number of beds -52 acute and 200 long-stay, a not uncommon work load in peripheral non-teaching hospitals at that time. These he managed with equanimity and the characteristic efficiency derived from his talent for organization. Ted Frazer was an impressive physician with an uncommon amount of common sense. He was well liked by his junior colleagues, to whom he showed fierce loyalty, and his consultant services were much in demand by local general practitioners with whom he established very friendly contacts. The latter formed the basis of the close collaboration between general practice and hospital that became a hallmark of medical and surgical practice in the North West Durham area.
For a long period his registrar post in acute medicine was filled jointly by two general practitioners, while a third assisted him in the care of lone-stay patients. His special talent for getting to the heart of a problem, whether clinical or organizational, was recognized by his colleagues in appointing him chairman of the medical advisory committee for two separate terms, an unusual distinction.
His interests outside medicine were gardening and water skiing. For some years he also ran a successful poultry farming business as a hobby. He married twice: first to Margaret, née Whittington, by whom he had three children, and then to Margery Bell.
D M Davies
(Volume IX, page 183)
<< Back to List