Lives of the fellows

Herbert Morley Fletcher

b.28 December 1864 d.9 Sept 1950
BA Cantab(1887) MB BChir(1890) MA MD Hon LLD Belf FRCP(1900) Hon FRACP

Herbert Morley Fletcher was born at Whiston, Lancashire, the second son of Alfred Evans Fletcher, of Liverpool, an inspector of alkali works under the Local Government Board, and his wife Sarah, daughter of Richard Morley of Leeds. He went to Mill Hill and the Royal Liverpool Institute School as a boy, and then read natural sciences at Trinity College, Cambridge, obtaining a double first. Having taken the degree of B.A. in 1887, he did his clinical training at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital and proceeded to the M.B, B.Chir., degrees three years later, completing his studies with a visit to Freiburg and Vienna. After passing through the usual junior appointments at St Bartholomew’s and one at the Hospital for Sick Children, he was elected assistant physician to the East London Hospital for Children. He served on the honorary staff of his own Hospital from 1904 to 1929, when he retired as consulting physician. There, with Thursfield, he developed the paediatric department; and, indeed, it was as specialist in children’s diseases that he became chiefly known, although he remained an able and successful general physician. He wrote articles both for Allbutt and Rolleston’s System of Medicine and for Garrod, Batten and Thursfield’s Diseases of Children. Fletcher was associated with many hospitals in the London area and worked for King Edward’s Hospital Fund for more than thirty years. He served on the staff of the 1st London General Hospital as a major during the 1914-1918 War. He was a Censor of the Royal College of Physicians and examined for the Conjoint Board and the Universities of Belfast, Cambridge, Durham, Glasgow and Sheffield. President of the Cambridge Athletic Club in 1888, he retained his interest in athletics, and his trim, athletic figure, to the end of his days. He was a good shot, and enjoyed fishing, skating and golf. He also excelled as a host. Fletcher was first married to Ethel Frances, daughter of Joseph Crossley of Halifax, by whom he had two sons and three daughters. His second wife, by whom he had two daughters, was Mary Christina, daughter of W. E. Willink of Liverpool and sister of the Rt. Hon. H. U. Willink. His younger brother was Sir Walter Morley Fletcher, F.R.C.P. Fletcher died at Petworth, Sussex, where he had lived for fifteen years.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1950; B.M.J., 1950; Times, 11 Sept. 1950; Al.Cantab., ii, 520]

(Volume IV, page 419)

<< Back to List