b.3 June 1917 d.14 January 1970
MBE(1944) TD(1945) MB BS Lond(1939) MRCP(1946) MD(1946) FRCP(1965)
Robert Gwyn Evans, son of Robert Jones Evans MA (at one time President of the Headmasters’ Association) was educated at Bootham School, York, from where he won a scholarship to King’s College Hospital Medical School, London. He gained first prize in surgery in his final year and was made a Warneford scholar in 1934. He was the Legg Prizewinner in pathology in 1938.
He was appointed clinical assistant in neurology at King’s in 1938, house physician in 1939 and second casualty officer in 1939, at the same hospital.
He was a keen member of the Territorial Army and at the outbreak of the war proceeded immediately to France and commanded a company of a Field Ambulance. His war service was most distinguished. He was DADMS from 1941-1944; Assistant Director of Medical Services with the Second Army from 1944-1945, Lt. Colonel of Queen Alexandra’s Military Hospital in 1946, mentioned three times in despatches. He was awarded the MBE (Mil. Division) in 1944 and Territorial Decoration in 1945.
At the end of the war he returned to King’s College Hospital where he Served as medical registrar from 1945-1946.
He was appointed as a clinical assistant in medicine at the General Hospital, Nottingham, in 1946, and from 1947-1948 he was medical specialist at that hospital.
He was physician to the General Hospital and the City Hospital, Nottingham, from 1948, and part-time Lecturer in Applied Pharmacology at University College, Nottingham, from 1947-1948.
In 1947 the Journal of the Royal Army Medical Corps published The Outline of the Role of the Medical Services (Second Brigade) Army’s Campaign in N. W. Europe from 1944-1945 and he was author of a number of papers on clinical practice in current journals.
His exceptional organizational abilities manifested themselves in his work for the relief of the inmates of the Belsen concentration camp. Though he rarely spoke of the horrors he witnessed and endured, the memory of them remained with him always.
He married Delia Maude Evans in February 1940, a former nurse at King’s College Hospital, London.
They had two sons, one Richard Llewelyn, FRCS(Ed.) MRCOG (Lond.), the other, Christopher, and a daughter, Jill Louise, BA.
[Brit.med.J., 1970, 1, 370; Lancet, 1970, 1, 199]
(Volume VI, page 169)
<< Back to List