b.1886 d.30 August 1951
MA MD Cantab(1921) MRCS FRCP(1922)
The son of Patrick F. Evans, recorder of Newcastle-under-Lyme, Geoffrey Evans was educated at Charterhouse and Trinity College, Cambridge. He gained firsts in both parts of the natural sciences tripos and continued his academic successes by winning the Bracken-bury prize for medicine at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital in 1912, the Lawrence research scholarship in 1914 and the Horton-Smith prize for his M.D. thesis in 1921. After qualifying in 1912, he spent six months at the University Clinic at Basle, before taking up a house appointment at St. Bartholomew’s, which gave him the opportunity to devise an improved temperature chart. During the 1914-1918 War he held a commission in the Royal Navy, his postings including one to a hospital in Bute. The War over, he rose steadily on the staff of St. Bartholomew’s, being assistant director of its medical unit and then assistant physician, full physician and consulting physician. He was also assistant physician at the Metropolitan Hospital for a brief period. At the Royal College of Physicians he delivered the Goulstonian Lectures in 1923 and the Lumleian Lectures in 1943; and the inaugural Langdon-Brown Lecture which he had composed was read after his death by the President in 1951. An authority on vascular disease, hypertension, and kidney disorders, he wrote a treatise on Diseases of the Kidney and edited Medical Treatment — Principles and their Application. But his reputation was made by his success in diagnosis to which his remarkable thoroughness and precision contributed, and by his skill in teaching at the bedside which was enhanced by his strong, humorous individuality, and his sense of the dramatic.
Evans relaxed from his work on an estate at Harpley in Worcestershire where he enjoyed the role of village squire and benevolent landlord. He married in 1917 the Hon. Ermine Mary, daughter of Sir Francis Kyffin Taylor, later Lord Maenan, and had a son and three daughters. He died at Harpley.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1951; B.M.J., 1951; Times, 1, 4 Sept 1951]
(Volume IV, page 578)
<< Back to List