b.6 May 1901 d.10 May 1960
MD Lausanne(1927) MRCS LRCP(1923) MRCP(1929) FRCP(1945)
Philip Ellman‡ was the son of Abraham Ellman, a textile merchant, of Manchester. He took the conjoint diploma in 1923 after medical studies at his local University. An interest in diseases of the chest dated from his friendship with Dr Marcus Paterson, of Colindale Sanatorium, in 1926, following a house post at Mansfield and District Hospital and a registrarship at the West Middlesex Hospital. In that same year he went to Switzerland where he worked with Jacquerod and took his M.D. (Lausanne) in 1927. Following some further study at Frankfurt he returned to London and entered general practice.
During a clinical assistantship at Brompton Hospital he took the College Membership and set up as a consultant in chest and rheumatic diseases; he had studied the latter under Professor Leonard Hill. He was appointed consultant to the rheumatic unit of St. Stephen’s Hospital and physician to the East Ham Chest Clinic which soon became well-known through his outstanding clinical and administrative ability. During World War II he was in charge of the medical division of the Leatherhead Emergency Hospital.
Ellman was a man of great energy. Besides writing several books and numerous articles he was a most successful editor of the British Journal of Diseases of the Chest. Those who knew him well spoke in glowing terms of his unfailing kindness and unselfishness. He married Betty, daughter of Albert Samuell, a London solicitor; they had two sons and one daughter. He died after showing great courage throughout a long and distressing illness.
Richard R Trail
[Brit. J. Dis. Chest, 1960, 54, 290-91 (p); Brit.med.J., 1960, 1, 1574-5 (p); Lancet, 1960, 1, 1137 (p); Times, 18 May 1960.]
(Volume V, page 121)
<< Back to List