b.1825 d.12 August 1915
MB Lond(1847) MD MRCS LSA FRCP(1873) JP
Peter Eade was born at Acle in Norfolk, the son of Peter Eade, surgeon of Blofield near Norwich. He was sent to Yarmouth Grammar School as a boy and then apprenticed to his father. Afterwards he studied at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital and King’s College, London. When he graduated as M.B. in 1847 he was awarded the University medical scholarship and three gold medals. He next joined his father in general practice but in 1856 moved to Norwich as a consultant. He was elected, two years later, to the staff of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, with which he remained associated, as physician and, after 1888, consulting physician, for the record period of fifty-seven years. He also served on the staffs of the Jenny Lind Infirmary for Children and the Norwich Dispensary, and helped to found the Children’s Convalescent Home at Yarmouth in 1883.
Eade took a prominent part in the civic life of Norwich. He was first elected a member of the council in 1869 and subsequently became sheriff and, on three occasions, mayor of the city. It was largely owing to his efforts that Chapel Field Gardens were laid out and Mousehold Heath developed as a park. A devoted student of local history, he was chiefly responsible for the erection of a statue of Sir Thomas Browne and published in 1900 an account of The Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, 1770-1900. He was knighted in 1885 and received the freedom of Norwich ten years later. Although of slight physique, he was a man of boundless energy. He was forceful in the expression of his views, but without malice. He married in 1868 Ellen, daughter of Robert Rump, surgeon, of Wells, Norfolk, and widow of Mr. Ling. Eade died at Norwich in his ninety-first year.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1915; B.M.J., 1915; Lyle, 78]
(Volume IV, page 212)
<< Back to List