b.? d.13 November 1611
MD Montpelier LRCP(1589) MD Oxon(1609)
Hippocrates D’Otthen, MD – A physician of this venerated name, styled in the Annals “vir doctus et practicator bonus,” was admitted a Licentiate 4th July, 1589. “In Collegio, præsentibus Dom Præs Dre Atkins et Dre James, aderat Hippocrates et admissus est ad praxin.” His real name was Hippocrates D’Otthen. He was a doctor of medicine of the university of Montpelier, and was incorporated on that degree at Oxford, 12th June, 1609. He died 3rd November, 1611, and was buried in the church of St Clement Danes, where he was commemorated by the following inscription:-
Here lieth the body of HIPPOCRATES DE OTTHEN, nobly descended from the noble family of the Otthens out of Holsatia, Doctor of Physick in the university of Montpelliers in France, and most worthily incorporated in the university of Oxford. After his first coming into England with his father (who was the Emperor’s physician, and sent for over by Queen Elizabeth), he was desired by the Earl of Leicester himself to pertain unto him, in whose service (for many years both at home and abroad in the Low Countries with his Lord) he performed such worthy parts as well in his own faculty, as being employed in other laudable services, that Her Majesty and the State took especial note of his worth. After the decease of the Earl, he was in the same esteem and regard with the Earl of Essex, and by Her Majesty commanded to attend upon him in the wars of France, and afterwards in his prosperous voyage to Cadiz. Returning home (hoping to retire himself to his own practice and a more private life) he was again commanded to go as Physician in service into Ireland, with the Lord Mountjoy (afterwards Earl of Devonshire), her Majesty’s Lieutenant in that kingdom. But returning again into England with his Lord, in the beginning of his Majesty’s reign, he continued not long, but went as Physician with the Earl of Hartford, his Majesty’s Ambassador unto the Arch-duke of Austria and Burgundy in that honourable imployment; and so, returning again into England, he spent the residue of his years with his dear and most vertuous wife Mistress Dorothy Drew, daughter to Master Roger Drew, of Densworth in Sussex, Esq in great bliss and happiness. And, being a most zealous and penitent Christian, full of years, and, unto his last gasp, of perfect memory, he ended his pilgrimage here on earth, and with alacrity of spirit surrendered his soul into the hands of his Creator, 13th November, 1611. For whose love and memory his late wife, (the now lady and wife unto Sir Stephen Thornhurst, of Kent, the most worthy and valorous Knight,) hath caused this monument to be erected.
His relict, Lady Dorothy Thornhurst dying 12th June, 1620, aged 55, was buried in Canterbury Cathedral, where there is a monument to her memory.
(Volume I, page 98)
<< Back to List