b.2 May 1879 d.1 May 1940
OBE(1919) MB BS Lond(1905) MD MD Bristol MRCS FRCP(1919)
Henry Devine, the son of Alfred Cox Devine, postmaster of Colchester, was educated at the Merchant Venturers’ School in Bristol and studied medicine, firstly, at University College, Bristol, where he qualified in 1902, and secondly, after serving as a house physician in Bristol General Hospital, at King’s College, London, where he took the degrees of M.B, B.S, in 1905; he later paid a postgraduate visit to Munich. Devine held varied junior appointments, at the Mount Vernon Hospital for Consumption, the West Riding Asylum, Wakefield, and the Chelsea Hospital for Women. He then decided to enter the L.C.C.’s mental hospital service and, after a brief period at Cane Hill Asylum, was made, in 1907, assistant medical officer at the new Long Grove Asylum at Epsom. A few years later he was awarded the Gaskell gold medal and prize, and in 1909 he returned to the West Riding Asylum as senior assistant medical officer; but he moved south again before the 1914-1918 War to become medical superintendent of the Portsmouth Corporation Mental Hospital. During the war years, he was given military patients to treat and was appointed consulting psychiatrist to the Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley, with the rank of captain in the R.A.M.C. He received the O.B.E. in 1919.
Devine’s final post was that of medical superintendent of the Holloway Sanatorium, Virginia Water, from which he retired, owing to ill health, in 1938. With this he combined a lectureship on psychology at the Maudsley Hospital. He was a co-editor of the Journal of Mental Science from 1920 to 1927 and published in 1929 a volume on Recent Advances in Psychiatry. An efficient administrator and a lovable personality, Devine died at Portsmouth, leaving two sons by his wife Phyllis, daughter of George Hanson.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1940; B.M.J., 1940]
(Volume IV, page 563)
<< Back to List