b.18 January 1855 d.10 May 1922
KBE(1919) CB(1917) MD Lond Hon DSc Sheff MRCS FRCP(1894)
Henry Davy, the youngest son of Henry Davy, solicitor, of Ottery St. Mary, was educated at Honiton Grammar School. As a student at Guy’s Hospital, he had a brilliant career and won the Gurney-Hoare prize. After qualifying in 1877, he filled house appointments at Guy’s, the Evelina Hospital for Children, and St. Luke’s Hospital for the Insane. Settling in Exeter in 1880, he was elected physician, first to the Exeter Dispensary, and secondly, in 1881, to the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital; he became consulting physician to the former in 1907 and to the latter in 1921. He was president of the B.M.A. at its meeting in Exeter in 1907. A year later he was placed on the staff of the 4th Southern Territorial General Hospital, with the range of lieutenant-colonel. During and after the War, from 1915 to 1919, he served as consulting physician to Southern Command and was created C.B. (1917) and K.B.E. (1919) in recognition of his services. Davy was sheriff of Exeter in 1887. He was a cheerful, hearty man, given to hospitality and acts of kindness, a keen fly-fisherman, and a collector of old English china. He married, firstly, in 1885 Beatrice Mary, daughter of J. T. Tucker, solicitor, of Chard, by whom he had a son and a daughter, and, secondly, in 1920 Mary, daughter of Samuel Octavius Gray and widow of Dr. John Mortimer.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1922; B.M.J., 1922; Presidential Address to R.C.P., 1923, 15]
(Volume IV, page 369)
<< Back to List