b.30 September 1818 d.4 January 1885
BA MD Cantab FRCP(1850)
Herbert Davies’s father was Thomas Davies, pupil of Laennec and one of the first doctors to use the stethoscope in England. In 1836 Davies entered the London Hospital, where his father was assistant physician, but in 1838 won a scholarship to Caius College, Cambridge. He graduated as a wrangler in 1842, having migrated to Queen’s College during his residence. He spent the next three years abroad, visiting the Paris and Vienna medical schools. In 1844 he was elected to the Edwards fellowship at Queen’s College. In 1845 he renewed his connection with the London Hospital by obtaining the appointment of assistant physician. He became full physician in 1857 and consulting physician in 1874. He lectured at the Hospital first on materia medica and subsequently on medicine. His services to the Hospital, both as a physician and as an administrator, more particularly during the cholera epidemic of 1866, earned the special thanks of the governors. Outside the Hospital, he had a large consulting practice in the City and East End of London and acted as physician to the Royal Hospital for Diseases of the Chest, the National Assurance Society, and the Bank of England. The Royal College of Physicians appointed him to the offices of Censor and Examiner, and he was examiner for the M.B. degree and assessor to the Regius professor of physic at Cambridge. He wrote extensively on the subject of rheumatism. Davies married in 1850 Caroline Templar, daughter of John Wyatt, by whom he had three sons and four daughters. One of his sons was A. T. Davies, F.R.C.P.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1885; London Hospital Gazette, 1917-19, xxii, 184; D.N.B., xiv, 137; Biog.Hist.of Caius College, ii, 234]
(Volume IV, page 59)
<< Back to List