b.9 May 1862 d.6 August 1927
BA Cantab(1883) MB(1886) MRCS FRCP(1913)
Charles Daniels was born at Manchester, the third son of Rev. Thomas Daniels, rector of St. Paul’s, Hulme. He was educated at Manchester Grammar School and Trinity College, Cambridge, where he graduated as B.A, with first-class honours in natural sciences, in 1883. He took his medical degree three years later, having completed his training at the London Hospital. He served in resident appointments both at the London Hospital and at Queen Charlotte’s Lying-In Hospital and in 1890 joined the Colonial Medical Service. He was first stationed in the Fiji Islands, where he made a careful study of the dysentery then prevalent. After four years he was transferred to British Guiana and began investigations into filaria that brought him to the notice of Sir Patrick Manson, with the result that he was sent in 1899 to Calcutta to confirm Ross’s observations on the part played by mosquitoes in the spread of malaria. From there he went on to Nyasaland as a member of the Royal Society’s commission on blackwater fever. On his return to England, Daniels became superintendent of the London School of Tropical Medicine and exerted an important influence on its early development. By 1903, however, he was abroad again, as director of the new Institute for Medical Research at Kuala Lumpur. Then, after a further period at the London School of Tropical Medicine, he retired from the Colonial Service and started to practise as a consultant in London. He became physician to the Hospital for Tropical Diseases and lectured on that subject at the London and St. George’s Hospitals and the School of Medicine for Women. In 1912 he succeeded Manson as medical adviser to the Colonial Office. Daniels was an accurate observer and a good teacher and organiser, but he shunned publicity and never received, perhaps, the recognition due to him. He died at Ilford, where he had retired in 1920. His wife was a daughter of William Slater.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1927; B.M.J., 1927; Presidential Address to R.C.P., 1928, 14; Al.Cantab., ii, 223]
(Volume IV, page 529)
<< Back to List