Lives of the fellows

Norman Dalton

b.June 1857 d.9 March 1923
MD Lond MRCS LSA FRCP(1894)

Norman Dalton, the son of Dr. E. T. E. Dalton, the postmaster of Demerara, British Guiana, was a pupil of Queen’s College in the colony up to the age of sixteen. Arriving in London, he attended Christ’s College, Finchley, for two years before entering the medical department of King’s College in 1875. Having won the Warneford and Senior scholarships, he qualified in 1879. He then held a number of appointments on the junior staff and, in 1886, was elected assistant physician to King’s College Hospital. He became physician in 1892 and retired to the consulting staff in the year before his death. From 1893 to 1910 he occupied the chair of pathological anatomy and in later years acted as joint lecturer on medicine. He was a regular contributor to the Hospital’s Reports, which he edited for a time. Outside King’s his principal connection was with the Drury Lane Dispensary. During the War of 1914-1918 he was attached to the 4th London General Hospital as a lieutenant-colonel. He examined both for the University of London and for the Conjoint Board. In 1905 he published, with A. D. Reid, a paper which showed that he had employed the method of determining the size of the stomach by X-rays in conjunction with a bismuth meal long before this practice became general. Dalton tended to over-emphasise the part played by morbid anatomy in clinical medicine and to underestimate the contribution of allied sciences. Despondency and self-consciousness prevented him from achieving success in practice. Nevertheless, his enthusiasm for his own subjects made " Little Dolly " a popular teacher in the Medical School. Himself a bachelor, he was at home the generous guardian to six children of a dead brother.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1923; B.M.J., 1923; Lyle, 395]

(Volume IV, page 367)

<< Back to List