b.13 September 1871 d.7 May 1942
MD Lond MRCS FRCP(1913) MMSA FRCOG
Russell Andrews was born in London, the son of Rev. John Andrews and his wife, who was the daughter of Rev. J. E. Nash and the granddaughter of J. A. Symonds, F.R.C.P. He was educated at Merchant Taylors’ School and then entered the London Hospital, where he qualified as a doctor in 1894. He next held a series of resident appointments on the junior staff, which were interrupted by some voyages as a ship’s doctor in the P. and O. Line and by postgraduate visits to the Berlin and Vienna schools. He was elected assistant obstetric physician in 1903 and succeeded to the office of senior obstetric physician after another nine years, being given consulting rank on his retirement in 1926. He was also on the staffs of the East End Mothers’ Home, the Bushey Heath Cottage Hospital and Ilford Hospital, and examined for Oxford, Cambridge, London and Durham Universities and for the Conjoint and Central Midwives Boards. He performed valuable service as one of the founders of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, and, although hardly a fluent writer, wrote a handbook, Midwifery for Nurses (1906), which reached an eighth edition in 1938, in addition to contributing to the "Ten Teachers " volumes on midwifery and diseases of women. As an operator, " Dicky " Andrews was quick and conservative; as a teacher, entertaining and realistic. His professional duties apart, he was essentially a countryman, with the true countryman’s wide range of interests—local affairs and field sports, social work and gardening—which were given full scope in his retirement at Lewes. They were fully shared by his wife, Margaret Dorothea, daughter of Walter Reynolds of St. Albans, whom he had married in 1914. He died at Lewes.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1942; B.M.J., 1942; Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology of the British Empire, 1942, xlix, 556]
(Volume IV, page 527)
<< Back to List